Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Accidents

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist insurance provides coverage in the event that you are involved in a car accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured.  This coverage applies if you are injured as a pedestrian or riding a bicycle as well.  Additionally, it applies to members of your household, and to other people riding in your car.

Washington law requires insurance companies to offer uninsured/underinsured coverage to their customers, but drivers are not required to purchase it.  It is extremely important to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as part of your insurance policy for a number of reasons.

First, 16.1% of drivers in Washington are uninsured (as stated by the Insurance Information Institute).  That means that nearly 1 in 6 car accidents will involve a driver that is uninsured. When the at-fault driver is uninsured, the other driver must rely on his or her own insurance, for property damage and injuries.

Second, the minimum insurance limit in Washington for uninsured/underinsured coverage is $25,000 per person for bodily injuries, and $10,000 for property damage. Given the high cost of medical care, and the cost to repair a damaged vehicle, even if the at-fault driver has insurance, it is very common that it is not enough coverage to fully compensate the injured driver. When the at-fault driver’s insurance limits are exhausted, the other driver usually must rely on his or her underinsured motorist coverage for additional compensation.

Finally, if you are involved in a hit and run accident, or if the other at-fault driver’s insurance company is not able to pay the claim, the other driver must rely on his or her uninsured motorist coverage.

Contact Us Today

If you have been injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident, bicycle accident, or as a pedestrian, call the Gig Harbor law offices of Campbell & Miller, PLLC at (253) 851-5924 or contact us by email.